Grants for residents affected by flooding

Swansea residents affected by recent floods have the opportunity to apply for Welsh Government funding to help recover from this month’s storms. The best way to do this is via Swansea Council.

Welsh Government has set up an emergency flood relief scheme which will provide immediate financial support to people whose homes have been flooded.  Applications can be made for all households that have suffered flood damage as an impact of Storm Dennis and Storm Ciara.

The Welsh Government will make Emergency Assistance Payments from its discretionary assistance fund (DAF) to affected residents for grants of up to £500 for those who are insured, and £1,000 for those who are not.

How to apply

Swansea Council’s Benefits Service have been briefed about the form and how to support citizens who need to make an application to the fund. They will be able to assist qualifying applicants to fill out the Welsh Government’s online form and also provide confirmation to DAF that the property concerned has been flooded.

The Benefits Service will be using a list provided by the council’s Highways Department as proof that properties have been flooded. This list is being updated continually. If the authority is not aware that a property has been flooded, alternative confirmation will need to be obtained which may include a visit to the address. All evidence options will be explored with the aim of minimizing difficulties for the applicant.

When telephoning the council to make a claim to the fund, affected residents will also need to provide the following:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Address including postcode
  • National insurance number
  • Bank details – so that the DAF can make the payments directly to the account
  • Insurance policy number (if they had insurance)
  • Information about who lives with them
  • Details regarding the effects of the flood

Contact the Benefits Service on: 01792 635353.

Assistance can also be provided face to face in the Contact Centre at the Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road or by ringing the Tenancy Support Unit on 01792 774360.

You can make an application to the fund without being assisted by the council but we are advised by the Partnership Manager for DAF that the process of obtaining a payment will take longer as there will be a need to provide evidence of the flooding. The best option is therefore to be assisted by us.

Application forms and qualifying information available here: new window.