- August 6, 2019
- Posted by: Julie James AM
- Category: Latest News
This year I will be raising money and supporting the charity Swansea Asylum Seekers Support or ‘SASS’.
They are a volunteer-led registered charity, run and managed by members, who include asylum seekers, refugees and other local people. They give a warm welcome to people seeking sanctuary in Swansea through twice-weekly drop-ins, and offering practical support, educational and recreational opportunities.
The group has existed since 1999. Local people (including refugees from Chile and other countries) started the support group when the government announced that asylum seekers would be dispersed to Swansea. Drop-ins began in 2001: they were organised by some of the first asylum seekers who arrived here.
The Charity’s Aims:
To develop a community of asylum seekers, refugees and locals in Swansea and the surrounding area which will;
- Promote equality and diversity by providing activities to foster understanding between people from diverse backgrounds.
- Preserve and protect the mental and physical health of asylum seekers and refugees and their dependants through developing community and combating isolation.
- Provide facilities for recreation or other leisure time occupation with the object of improving the conditions of life of those persons who have need of such facilities by reason of their youth, age, infirmity or disablement, financial hardship or social and economic circumstances.
- Provide education and training to asylum seekers, refugees and their dependants to advance them in life and help them to adapt within a new community.
- Advance the education of the public in general about issues relating to asylum seekers and refugees.
- Relieve poverty amongst asylum seekers and refugees and their dependants
You can get in touch with SASS directly for Bank details and Standing Order Mandates at: [email protected]
You can also get in touch with my office on [email protected] or 01792 460 836